What is a bonus and a dividend
The dividend - definition and explanation
As a rule, shareholders benefit from the dividend. It is a kind of bonus for shareholders who pay companies off after a successful financial year.
But the definition of dividends is not that simple. Information about the tax treatment or the informative value of this profit distribution is also important.
Dividend: a brief definition
The dividend is a share in the profits of the shareholders after a company’s financial year has ended.
The amount of the dividend is usually linked to the success of the company, but shareholders are not entitled to receive this bonus.
The shareholders' meeting can also vote against the payment of a dividend. This is done, for example, in order not to weaken the company's capital.
Decision and payment
The amount of the dividend is proposed to the shareholders by the management board at the general meeting. The dividend amount can then be set with a simple majority.
More on the subject: Dividend distribution: what does it mean?
Payment is made one day after the resolution has been passed. There is no dividend entitlement for shares that were purchased, for example, one day after the general meeting (“ex-day”).
However, it is possible for every shareholder to acquire shares in the relevant company up to the day of the Annual General Meeting and to benefit from the distribution.
More on the subject: When are you eligible to receive a dividend?
Tax treatment of dividends
The distribution of the dividend has been taxed with final taxation since 2009. This means a deduction of 25% plus 5.5% solidarity surcharge and any church tax.
The final withholding tax is automatically deducted from the dividend before it is transferred to the relevant account in the securities account.
However, the saver lump sum of € 801 or € 1602 for married couples must be observed. If all income from capital assets is less than the lump sum for savers, the profit is exempt from tax.
Income from capital assets does not only include dividends, but also interest and profits from the sale of investments and futures.
When defining the dividend, the dividend yield should also be taken into account. In particular, before distributing a dividend, shareholders also calculate the dividend yield.
The expected amount is related to the current price of the share:
Dividend yield: (dividend / share price) x 100%
More on the subject: The dividend yield used to value a stock
The dividend yield is a relatively meaningful indicator for assessing the chances of success and the attractiveness of an equity investment.
Significance of the dividend distribution
Regular and high dividend distributions keep shareholders in the company.
For many shareholders, the amount of the dividend distribution is also an important indicator for assessing the economic stability of the company.
If a company can guarantee high bonus payments, this shows the shareholder that the company is economically strong.
Eckert & Ziegler with new all-time high The Eckert & Ziegler Group is a very important supplier of radioactive components - and the demand for them is increasing. > read more
- Where can I get 3D prints?
- What is the past life theory
- Why did France colonize Canada
- Can Taylor Swift really change political views?
- According to the Bible, God is formless
- What if Africa were annexed by America?
- Every American is richer than an Indian
- Who is Manmohan Singh
- How much do ISRO scientists earn
- How will inequality decrease?
- What's your first salary
- What is your favorite song and why
- Have you experienced treason in real life?
- What do deer symbolize
- How many claws does a cat have
- Getting old so bad
- Do astrophysicists contribute to society
- When did the Romans start riding horses?
- Twelve Apostles Jesus' 12 disciples existed
- Does the Samsung Chromebook have Windows
- How religious are Syrian Sunni Muslims
- Technically how does a presence detector work
- You are allowed to stay at the IIT
- Is northeast tourism safe
- What is biomagnification
- Why is water used for baths
- Why do we trust BJP
- What helps with admission to the graduate school
- What are the services of Tippu Sulthan
- Can cause unrest in bipolar mania
- What are a woman's duties
- How do I learn to write love essays
- What is a bonus and a dividend
- Medicare is free for everyone