Pakistan is a 3rd world country
In Liberia (West Africa), the need is great for many people. (& copy picture-alliance / AP-images)
Developing countriesThe term "Third World" is hardly used today. Rather, one speaks of "developing countries". Around two thirds of all people live in developing countries. This means all the less developed countries in Africa, Asia, South and Central America as well as the Caribbean and Oceania.
Cold War era termThe term "Third World" originated during the Cold War when two military blocs faced each other. The countries that did not belong to any of these blocs were the so-called non-aligned countries. They got the name "Third World". One bloc was led by the US. This was called the "First World", and that included the democratic industrialized countries. The other bloc was led by the Soviet Union. That was the "second world," and that included the industrialized socialist states. The "second world" has not existed since the end of the Soviet Union and the term "first world" is no longer used.
Fourth worldOccasionally one hears the term “fourth world” for the very poorest countries that could not survive without foreign help.
Source: Gerd Schneider / Christiane Toyka-Seid: The young politics encyclopedia from www.hanisauland.de, Bonn: Federal Agency for Civic Education 2021.
- Pay television broadcasters cable companies
- What should I know about backend APIs
- Criminal Minds made the term unsub popular
- Can holders fix crooked teeth
- Who is Taken the Highest Wicket Bowler
- How do I get out of debt
- How big is a 4 mm aneurysm
- What factors are required for GDP
- How much did a southern plantation cost
- Are Costco car batteries good
- What are the Mormon criteria for truth
- Sweat causes acne
- Can survive a relationship after drug addiction
- What is the nature of political philosophy
- What is the transhuman agenda
- Why was Spain not occupied by Germany?
- Where does Stanford play football
- Are you a dermatologist
- Why White Americans Are So Hateful
- Are dingoes kept as pets in Australia
- Have you seen yourself on Netflix?
- What caused the bush roar in NSW
- What do you like about Adolf Hitler
- How do traders rate options