How can I settle in Norway

Emigrate to Norway

For those who love the warm season and the year full of sunshine, Norway is not exactly the ideal country to emigrate. Because the winter in Norway is long. Due to its nature, the huge forests, the many rivers, lakes and mountains, Norway offers an alternative habitat, especially for people who are close to nature. The Norwegians are a very active people. They love to be active all year round, whether in winter or summer. Norway is a large country that is very sparsely populated, especially in the remote areas. Here you can still find a quiet piece of earth. In addition, Norway is one of the countries with the best quality of life in the world. It has an exemplary education system, one of the highest per capita incomes in the world and excellent health care, among other things. You can find your way around Norway easily if you speak the English language. However, if you want to emigrate to Norway and work there, you should definitely be able to speak and write Norwegian.

Table of Contents

Top job offers abroad in Norway

More offers

For whom is Norway suitable as a country of emigration?

In Norway it is relatively easy for certain professional groups to find a job. Norway is particularly attractive for older workers, as they have far better chances on the Norwegian labor market than in Germany. Overall, salaries in Norway are much higher than, for example, in Germany. However, it should be noted that the cost of living is also higher. This is especially true for the metropolitan areas in and around the capital Oslo.

The following occupational groups have particularly good prospects on the Norwegian labor market:

  • Doctors, Nurses and Nurses
  • Auto mechanic and mechanical engineer
  • Craftsman
  • Employees in the fish industry
  • Employees in oil production.

When looking for a job in Norway, the Federal Employment Agency with its EURES program, the Norwegian employment service or the local employment offices in Norway can help.

Requirements for an unlimited visa

Norway is not a member of the European Union. However, thanks to its participation in the European Economic Area (EEA) and the Schengen Agreement, the country is closely linked to the European Union. For this reason, anyone who wants to emigrate to Norway as a German does not need a work permit to work or study in Norway or a visa to enter Norway.

However, if you are staying in Norway for more than three months, you must be able to show a residence permit. You can apply for this immediately after entering the country.

Requirements for a residence permit are:

  • a valid passport or identity card
  • adequate health insurance
  • sufficient wealth to be able to earn a living or
  • proof of a job or job with which one can earn a living or
  • a sufficient pension with which one can pay for a living.

More information about emigrating to Norway can be obtained from the Norwegian embassy in Berlin or from the consulates. The Norwegian Immigration Service can also provide information.

Anyone who has a residence permit and has lived in Norway for seven consecutive years can apply for Norwegian citizenship. However, there is no dual citizenship option in Norway. You have to give up your original citizenship when you get Norwegian citizenship.

Moving to Norway: What to look out for

Before leaving for Norway, some administrative procedures and other things have to be arranged by the emigrants. However, some things can only be tackled on site in Norway.

What you can already regulate in Germany:

  • Papers: If you emigrate to Norway, you should first de-register at the responsible residents' registration office in Germany. With the de-registration confirmation you can, for example, apply for a new passport at the German embassy in Norway later without any problems. A valid passport is required to enter Norway. The German driving license is valid in Norway. This also applies if you emigrate to Norway. Of course there is the possibility to exchange the German for a Norwegian driver's license. You can do this at the Norwegian Transport Authority (“Statens Vegvesen”).
  • Provisional personal number: Before leaving for Norway, it is possible to apply for a provisional personal number (D number), which you will keep until you have received the final personal number (P number) in Norway. The D number can only be obtained if you do not yet have a residence permit. With the D number you can open a bank account or apply for a tax card. You can apply for the D number at: - a bank with which you want to open an account
    - the employment office
    - the tax office or
    - the Norwegian Chamber of Commerce- Pension and old-age provision: There is a social security agreement between Germany and Norway. This means that both countries recognize and credit the pension entitlements from the other country. You can get more information from the German Pension Insurance. Anyone who works in Norway pays into the Norwegian pension insurance. However, it is common in Norway to take out additional private insurance. Many companies have their own pension funds in which employees can participate. Of course, in addition to the state pension and supplementary company insurance, there is also individual supplementary insurance that can be taken out with banks or insurance companies.
  • If the household effects are to emigrate with: If you move to Norway and want to take larger household items with you, you should definitely hire an experienced furniture shipping company. Since Norway is not in the European Union, there are already some forms to fill out in advance, which concern the import regulations. This is particularly difficult if you do not speak the Norwegian language. An experienced forwarding agent can help the emigrants fill out the forms. For more information on Norway's import regulations, please contact Norwegian Customs.

What needs to be regulated in Norway:

  • Apartment Search: If you can afford it, buying property in Norway is worth it. Otherwise, you should first look for a rental apartment and then buy an apartment or house later. The housing market in Norway is rather short-term. Most of the properties on offer can be rented either immediately or after two to three months. A long-term apartment search from Germany is therefore rather difficult. The offers can be found, for example, in the daily newspapers. There you can also place an advertisement as a house hunter. Internet portals with real estate offers are for example: or Finn Eiendomm.
  • Application for a tax card: Once you have received your residence permit, you can apply for a P number at the residents' registration office. You need this number to get a tax card issued. If you start work before you have the tax card, the employer usually withholds 50 percent of the tax until the tax card is available. More information on applying for a tax card is available from the Norwegian tax office.
  • Setting up a bank account: In order to be able to open a bank account in Norway, you need a personal number (D number or P number). You also have to show a passport, which is no longer accepted as a sufficient form of identification by most banks in Norway.
  • Health insurance: Anyone who lives and works in Norway is automatically covered by the state health insurance (“Folketryden”). This insurance is already valid if you work but do not yet have a P-number and a residence permit. There is no private health insurance in Norway. All services are covered by the state health insurance. However, there is the option of taking out various additional insurance policies.

Guide to jobs abroad in Norway

Book tips for emigrating to Norway

Note: Update on May 20th, 2021 via Amazon Product Advertising API. Dates and prices may have changed. We earn commissions for qualified purchases through the affiliate program.