How does an A affect my GPA
Calculating your GPA (Grade Point Average)
In the USA, too, the average grade is often asked when applying for an internship or at university. But if there is only the letters, it is of course a little difficult. That is why there is a conversion table that can be used to convert letters into numbers, which is needed for the Grade Point Average - a kind of grade point average. We have also noted the corresponding German grades for orientation so that nothing stands in the way of the GPA calculation.
Step 1 - Translate the German grade
|German note||American note in letters||American grade for GPA calculation|
|1,0 (1)||A and A +||4,0|
|1,7 (2+)||B +||3,3|
|2,7 (3+)||C +||2,3|
|4,0 (4)||D +||1,0|
|4.7 (5+) and worse||F.||0,0|
Step 2 - Weight individual GPA grades with the time required
Now you have to calculate the average value from the converted grades. As you can see, an optimal GPA value is 4.0, the worst value is 0.0. As soon as you have converted all your grades into a GPA grade, you can move on to the average value. To do this, you weight your grades with the time required for the respective subject. For school grades you can take weekly hours as time expenditure, credit points are ideal for university achievements.
For example like this:
|school subject||American GPA note||Expenditure of time||Time required x GPA grade|
|English||3,3||4 hours per week||13,2|
|mathematics||1,7||4 hours per week||6,8|
|geography||2,7||2 hours per week||5,4|
|Course at the university||American GPA note||Expenditure of time|
(1 credit point ~ 30h)
|Time required x GPA grade|
|Commercial law||3,0||5 credit points||15,0|
|higher mathematics||1,0||3 credit points||3,0|
|Markets and companies||2,7||2 credit points||5,4|
Step 3 - Divide all results by the total effort
The last step in calculating your GPA is now to divide your results from step two by the total time required. Then you have calculated the so-called arithmetic mean. This means: All your grades are included in your overall GPA, depending on how much time you spent on them. For our examples it looks like this:
13,2 + 6,8 + 5,4 = 25,4
4 + 4 + 2 = 10
25.4: 10 = 2.54 = student's GPA
15 + 3 + 5,4 = 23,4
5 + 3 + 2 = 10
23.4: 10 = 2.34 = student's GPA
There are other GPA calculation systems as well
Now you have calculated your GPA, which is required for all possible applications in the USA: be it for an internship, university, another job or simply your own interests. But when you apply, you should also add that this GPA was calculated on the more usual scale of up to 4.0 points.
There is also a scale on which you can at best achieve up to 5.0 points. This variant is less common. If you don't make a note of the scale on which your GPA is based, people may think you want to improve your grades. Because of course the 5-point scale brings higher and in the sense "better" grades than the 4-point scale.
13 readers found this tip helpful. You also?Give a star now Thank you for your review
We hope our information is useful for you. Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee the correctness of the information. If you find a mistake, send us an email quickly to Redaktion (at) stepin.de
- Which will win Islam or transhumanism? Why
- War with China is inevitable
- What is the best fighter jet 1
- What happened to the Germanic tribes
- How does human perception grow
- What would Christianity die out?
- What is a common question
- What are the best arguments against PizzaGate
- Which country spends the least on defense?
- Why do intelligent people join cults?
- Supports Hardik Patel well for AAP
- Is Donald Trump a good person
- What challenges do journalists face in 2017
- What do famous people hate most
- Where can I find UPSC curriculum PDF
- Why do accountants view Trump's financial records
- How could a spouse be deported?
- What is the opposite of thank you
- Are boxer's noses really messed up?
- Pastors compete with each other
- How can I recognize a mafia boss
- Why is Citigroup leaving London
- Are there illegal google searches
- How many people live in Norway 1
- What do the Kashmiri want
- Jesus had a bar mitzvah
- What does 420 mean to you
- What are the best things about Muscat
- Do I need polarized sunglasses?
- How did the King of Jhansi die
- Is Hebrew a useful language outside of Israel
- Which computer language should we learn first?
- How do I get business partners