How many babies are born each year
Current annual results
Compared to the previous year, the number of births in 2019 decreased by 0.7% or 583 babies. Only two federal states recorded rising birth rates in 2019: Salzburg (+ 3.2%) and Burgenland (+ 0.3%). All other federal states registered fewer births than in the previous year. The falling birth rates were most pronounced in Carinthia (-3.3%), followed by Tyrol (-2.3%), Lower Austria (-1.4%) and Styria (-0.7%). Declines in births below the national average were found in Vienna (-0.5%), Upper Austria (-0.4%) and Vorarlberg (-0.05%).
51.3% of the newborns were boys, 48.7% were girls. The gender proportion was thus 1,053.4. The illegitimate rate was 40.6%.
Regionally, the birth rate was highest in Vorarlberg at 10.9 ‰, followed by Vienna (10.5 ‰), Salzburg (10.4 ‰), Upper Austria (10.1 ‰) and Tyrol (10.0 ‰). Burgenland recorded the lowest birth rate at 7.6 ‰.
Most babies were born in July (7,804), August (7,489) and September (7,478) in 2019, while the fewest children were born in February (6,363) and November (6,646). An average of 233 children were born every day in Austria. In July around 252 children were born per day, while in March and December only around 221 babies were born per day.
Across Austria, a total of 1,259 multiple births took place in 2019: 1,240 twins and 19 triplets were born.
The average fertility age in 2019 was 31.0 years. 1,109 live births (1.3%) had a mother aged 14 to less than 20 years, in 271 (0.3%) the mother was 45 years or older. 3,460 new mothers in 2019 (4.1%) were between 40 and 45 years old.
More than a third of the mothers in 2019 (34.2%) were born abroad, 30.7% of the mothers were foreign nationals. In comparison, only 21.0% of the live births in 2019 were non-Austrian citizens. Vienna and Burgenland defined the range of regional differences: In 2019, the proportion of mothers born abroad in Vienna was 55.8%, in Burgenland it was 21.3%, and that of mothers with foreign nationality was 49.9%, respectively 19.1%. The proportion of newborns in 2019 with non-Austrian citizenship was 35.2% in Vienna and 12.5% in Burgenland.
In 2019 there were also 261 stillborns across Austria. In relation to the live births, this corresponded to a rate of 3.1 ‰.
In 2019, the two youngest parents were together 30 years old, with the mother each being 14 years old and the father each being 16 years old. The two oldest mothers were 60 years old and thus 5 and 2 years younger than the respective fathers of the four children (one of these women gave birth to triplets). At 73, the two oldest fathers were 36 and 29 years older than the 37-year-old mother of the baby and the 44-year-old mother of twins, respectively. The largest age difference between two parents was 44 years: they were the babies of a 72-year-old or 64-year-old father and the 28 or 20-year-old mothers. The maximum reverse age difference was 21 years: this was the child of a 20-year-old father and a 41-year-old mother.
Methodological information, definitions:
Since November 1, 2014, births have been processed on the basis of the data continuously transmitted by the Central Civil Status Register.
From 2015, the published data also include the births of mothers whose main residence was in Austria that took place abroad. The results are presented for the born according to the mother's place of residence.
The expected publication dates of further results can be found under the publication calendar.
© STATISTICS AUSTRIA, last change on April 15, 2021
- Are there tornadoes in Hawaii
- Religious Jews usually eat sourdough bread
- Pros and cons of crying
- What is the use of alexandrite
- Is DigiBank DBS secure and trustworthy
- Causes ulcerative colitis to enlarge the spleen
- How much can Lou Ferrigno bench press
- What are Hinduism's views on vegetarianism
- What is the nationality of the Quora moderators?
- What would make churches empty?
- How can I settle in Norway
- What do people perceive to be a fake?
- How Can I Build Business Loans Quickly
- How do scripts and programming differ
- Bermuda is considered Caribbean
- What is the alternative to capitalist systems
- How strong is the Japanese military
- What superstition brings you comfort
- What are the biggest problems in Chile
- Why do some people hate Kamal Hassan
- Can I buy Jet Airways shares?
- Mandarin dialects are understandable for both sides
- Recommend laser eye surgery
- Did Pablo Picasso have any mental illnesses
- Is Kane Williamson New Zealand's Greatest Legend
- Is Calgary the Canadian version of Denver
- How culturally similar is Vietnam to China
- What are great training tips for ENFJs
- Who inspired by Shivaji Maharaj
- Who's worse than a narcissist
- What are meant by boundary conditions
- Is an artist his work
- How do you end an old friendship
- Is the story true?