How much does life cost in Australia
Prices Australia: Info about the cost of living
The Prices in Australia are generally higher than in Germany and Austria, but lower than in Switzerland. However, there are a few exceptions and a few subtleties to consider. Particularly in the luxury goods sector, such as alcohol and tobacco, you have to reckon with considerably higher prices on the 5th continent than in Germany, for example. Petrol, on the other hand, is cheaper in more populated areas on the 5th continent. In this article we would like to provide a brief overview of the cost of living Down Under so that you can get some idea of the prices in Australia before you travel.
Currency & prices
In Australia, the Australian dollar is used to pay, which currently has the following exchange rate to the euro: 1 AUD corresponds to around € 0.65 (as of May 2018). The dollar has shown itself to be a fairly constant currency over the years, which is why this rate should remain quite current in the future despite minor fluctuations.
As in Europe, a value-added tax is levied on consumer goods, which is called GST (Goods and Services Tax). In contrast to the German sales tax (19%), Australians pay just 10% on their everyday goods and services.
Furthermore, maintaining a vehicle, regardless of whether it is a small car, station wagon or bus, is a bit cheaper on the 5th continent, as insurance, the “Australian TÜV” and fuel undercut German prices. The Australian wallet is also rather spared when it comes to taxes that are levied on petrol. In Germany, about € 0.47 diesel tax and about € 0.65 gasoline tax are due per liter, whereas Australians pay an average of only $ 0.40 (€ 0.27) for the liter of gasoline and diesel in taxpayers' money.
Like everywhere else, rental prices are very much subject to regional conditions. It makes sense that apartments in the outback that are far from major cities cost significantly less than an apartment in Sydney. By and large, rents in Australia are higher than in Germany. It should be noted that rent in this country is usually paid weekly and you also receive your wages every seven days.
Conclusion: Due to the fact that the dollar is relatively strong and the prices in Australia are higher than in Germany, the 5th continent is certainly not a cheap holiday destination. In view of the fact that the wages in Down Under, especially for "casual jobs" (odd jobs such as kitchen help, gardener assistant, cleaner, temporary help on construction etc.) and skilled craftsmen (carpenter, auto mechanic, plumber etc.), likewise are higher than in Germany, the very high cost of living is still in relation to income.
Consumer goods in comparison
Here we have created a small overview table for a few consumer goods (comparison of prices in Germany with prices in Australia) so that you can get a rough idea of the cost of living before you start your journey.
Campers, RVs & 4WDs
You can get a good overview of the prices of campervans, mobile homes and 4WDs using our practical price comparison:
Ordinary cars & SUVs
You can get an insight into the prices of normal rental cars using the following quick search:
Tours & short trips
You might also be interested in that
- Who is the prettiest in two?
- How does a molecule reflect light?
- Why did an old friendship go sour
- What happened to the sixty one com
- What are some of Camila Cabello's songs
- What is the rarest airplane you've flown
- What free editing software do YouTubers use
- Pablo Picasso had 23 names
- What makes you a real hero
- Titanium bends easily
- Are height-growing supplements effective
- Are people born better at sport?
- If the law comes before the order
- Eid is a public holiday in India
- Pakistan is afraid of Narendra Modi
- Which is the coolest place in australia
- What makes a good TV series
- Where can I get electronic cigarettes
- Is it normal to feel socially isolated?
- How to learn Telugu from Hindi
- Which is the best air conditioner in Kerala
- Has Al Qaeda partnered with ISIS
- What is a rifle grenade
- Can someone be Christian and popular
- Which caste belongs to the highest caste
- How was your elementary school day
- Are political party affiliations relevant
- Why is Mongodb losing popularity
- What is the cutest prehistoric animal
- How is the gender ratio in the USA
- What are the best Joni Mitchell songs
- What is the point of the social
- Which ferry goes from Washington to Canada