What are the disadvantages of government grants
Public money: real subsidy or VAT payable?
06/01/2006 | Government grants
Public grants - mostly granted by rural districts, cities and municipalities - are still one of the most important sources of funding for associations. In addition to the “classic” forms of subsidy, financing of shortfalls and institutional financing (with fixed annual amounts), performance contracts are becoming more and more important: The association does not simply receive money for its work, but the subsidy is tied to specific performance criteria. This can be the implementation of certain events, for example a cultural festival, or the care of a certain number of clients.
This moves income from government grants more and more into the focus of the tax offices. If there is a real exchange of services between the association and the sponsor, the payments are subject to sales tax. A significant part of the revenue goes to the treasury. Jurisprudence and decrees issued by the tax authorities are also increasingly addressing this issue. The following article brings you up to date.
The all-clear for most cases
The good news in advance is that the all-clear can be given for most cases. The usual budgetary requirements do not automatically speak in favor of an exchange of services. Grants from public coffers that are awarded exclusively on the basis of budget law and the general ancillary provisions issued for this are basically real grants. In the opinion of the Federal Ministry of Finance (BMF), the conditions set out in the ancillary provisions are not sufficient to accept a service exchange relationship (letter dated August 15, 2006, Az: IV A 5 - S 7200 - 59/06; access no. 062598).
The fact that the association is obliged to repay the donation in certain cases according to the donation contract does not matter (Bundesfinanzhof [BFH], judgment of July 28, 1994, Az: V R 19/92).
Would you like to read this technical article?
Free VB trial subscription
- Access to the latest specialist articles and the complete archive
- Lots of work aids, checklists and special editions as downloads
- Cancellation after the test at the end of the month
* Thereafter from € 13.25 per month
- 24 hour access to all content
- Ends automatically; no termination necessary
- A wise decision! Please log in.
Become a fan of the VB Facebook page now and receive the latest news from the editorial team.To Facebook
- There are Muslim bhakts of Modi
- Is there an investment that pays off every day
- Is the Duckworth Lewis method fair
- What did Churchill think of Stalin?
- Which cultures don't kiss
- Why is globalization so despised
- How racist is St. Louis
- Why are there Chinese Islamic terrorists
- Why don't the Eastern Europeans smile a lot?
- Why is globalization good for culture
- Most atheists are realists
- Why do children like to stare
- If India continues peace, speak to Pakistan
- Is Donald Trump really popular with Republicans
- What makes communism completely incompatible with capitalism?
- Why don't Americans pronounce Saudi properly
- How can someone convert PDF to text
- What are some examples of strong boundaries
- What is SOAPUI test
- What makes people smart
- Can keep BJP Rajasthan
- Do the accused and the convicted mean the same thing?
- How prejudice harms a society
- How is control theory used in industry