How effective are therapy dogs
There is no breed that is per se suitable or unsuitable for therapy dog training or for training to be a petting dog, i.e. even if both parents have successfully mastered the therapy dog training, this is no guarantee that their offspring are also suitable as therapy dogs.
If someone wants to sell you a dog with the words "The parents are also successful therapy dogs", then please listen carefully - the skills for a therapy dog or petting dog are NOT inherited! There is no breeding for a therapy companion dog!
However, appropriate conditioning and socialization of the breeder and keeper can increase the likelihood of suitability for animal-assisted therapy.
A person-related, friendly nature and a good ability to be influenced by people are good prerequisites for use or for therapy dog training. For these reasons, some breeds are more likely to be considered than others - more on this under breed advice.
Without a corresponding bond with its human being, training as a therapy dog or using the dog is pointless, as the dog must absolutely trust its human being in unfamiliar and stressful situations.
Because of the reasons mentioned above, it should be clear that not every dog is suitable as a "dog as a therapist" and that the dog's personality cannot be changed through training. This must also not be the goal of training!
Therefore, before the start of the training, we use an appraisal of the human-dog team to check the extent to which humans and dogs have the skills in personality and behavior that are suitable as a therapy team and can be strengthened or consolidated through therapy dog training.
During the aptitude test, the age and temperament of the dog to be assessed are taken into account. Ultimately, the determination of suitability for therapy companion dog training is always in the interests of the dog!
During the test, the behavior of the dog is observed both in free running and towards its owner or the tester.
- How people-related is the dog?
- How well can be socially influenced? How high is his frustration threshold?
- Does the dog tend to be aggressive?
- How scared is the dog? Does he appear overly shy, insecure, or fearful?
- What about his need for activity? Does he tend to hunt?
- Is he physically healthy?
These are just a few of the questions that will arise in the course of the aptitude test. The focus is particularly on the relationship between dog and owner. To what extent does a person know his dog? Can he influence and control his dog? Is the holder capable of self-reflection, open, curious and willing to learn?
The determination of unsuitability for therapy dog training or petting dog training does not mean that the corresponding dog is "bad", it is currently just not suitable for the special requirements of a therapy dog or petting dog, but can still be a great social partner.
The age of the dog is also very important in the aptitude test. It should be clear that a dog at 6 months is not as mature in personality as a dog at 3 years. Likewise, the human-dog relationship in a young dog is not that well developed. The responsibility for this development lies solely with humans - and just because the dog is suitable at 6 months, it can look completely different again at 3 years of age due to stupid circumstances ... Read a little more about this under puppy test.
The aptitude test is the only requirement for participating in training to become a therapy dog team or a visiting and petting dog team. However, this aptitude test does not require participation!
The 90 € will be billed directly to you by the DOGS dog schools in Kiel and Bad Schwartau / Lübeck.
- Chicken and fish are well cooked together
- Why is Crazy Horse important
- Can you describe Japan with a picture?
- Is Iran a nationalist country
- Is criminology a psychology or sociology
- Where and when was Sanskrit spoken natively
- What is metadata and some good examples
- What is an electrotechnical job
- What are the uses of Neemoel
- How to celebrate Chhat Puja
- Do you think abortion is a sin?
- Why is whispering considered rude
- Was it right to decriminalize adultery
- Will buy Louis Vuitton Maker Tiffany
- What should we prepare before Christmas
- Where is Wicca publicly accepted?
- What is structured commodity finance
- How do share prices affect a company?
- What factors are required for GDP
- What is a steel toe boot
- How do I do the Ranthambore Safari
- Why do some Catholics stop confessing?
- Most teenagers do housework at home
- What is the past life theory